New rules on travel in the EU came into effect from 2nd August 2021 and it will no longer be a legal requirement to carry a green card.

As a result of the UK being added to the Green Card Free Circulation area, drivers of UK-registered vehicles, including those from Northern Ireland will no longer need green card insurance when driving their vehicle in EU countries.

Please note that a Green Card may still be required to drive in other countries, including: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine.

We recommend that anyone thinking of driving abroad remains up to date with the rules and requirements. You can find out more information from the Government web pages:

We would advise you to check your original documents carefully and use the information on the government website for full guidance.

To help, we have listed various FAQs below which we hope will be of assistance but please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need clarification.

Useful information...

When will the change be actioned?

Technically from Monday 2nd August 2021.

What documents will I need when driving abroad?

After 2nd August 2021, a certificate of insurance will cover drivers travelling between other EU/EAA countries. In addition to your certificate, it would also be worthwhile to carry:

  • Your driving licence
  • V5C logbook
  • An International Driving Permit (IDP) (For more information visit:
  • GB stickers for vehicles and trailers

You can find more information from the UK Government here

I will be towing a trailer or caravan

Motorists of other vehicles should also note some Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA) countries may require a separate green card as proof of insurance for trailers or caravans. If you plan on travelling with a trailer or caravan please contact your insurance company for guidance regarding green cards.

How do I apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

IDP’s are available from the post office for a small cost. You can find more information here

Be aware, there are many unofficial sellers online claiming to sell legitimate International Driving Permits (IDP). Please only purchase your IDP from a legitimate source.

Where can I get more information about the requirements for travelling abroad?

You can find out more information from the UK Government here

Will my breakdown cover extend to the countries I drive in?

If you have UK breakdown cover it will not extend to countries outside of the UK. If breakdown cover is required, you will need to ensure you have purchased the correct level of cover for the countries you wish to travel through prior to travelling.