New rules on travel in the EU come into effect on 1st January 2021 and amongst other documents, you will be required to carry a physical Green Card. Digital copies are not currently accepted.

We recommend that anyone thinking of driving abroad remains up to date with the rules and requirements. You can find out more information from the Government website:

Some insurers have already started providing a Green Card document along with your other policy documents, such as certificate and schedule. We would advise you to check your original documents carefully, if you have already received a Green Card document that is valid for the dates you are travelling you will not need to apply for a duplicate document.

To apply for a Green Card, simply fill in the form below and our dedicated team will issue your Green Card to your Insurance Account.

PLEASE NOTE, this can take up to 72 hours. We will notify you by email when your Green Card has been issued and you will need to log in to your Insurance Account and print this document.

Your reference can be found in your policy documents, your welcome email or within your online insurance account.

Useful information...

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that proves that a UK motorist has the required third-party insurance to drive within the EU. It proves that the driver is suitably insured to drive in these countries.

The driver needs to have a physical copy of the Green Card when travelling, as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

Can you post the physical Green Card to my address?

If you require a physical copy it is vital that you contact us at least 6 weeks before you travel:

PLEASE NOTE: For a physical copy there will be a £15.00 charge to cover administration costs and postage.

What documents might I need for driving in the EU/abroad?

  • A Green Card
  • Your driving licence
  • Your Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • The vehicle logbook (V5C)
  • An International Driving Permit (IDP)
  • GB stickers for vehicles and trailers

I will be towing a trailer or caravan

Where a trailer or caravan is being towed, a separate Green Card is required for the towing vehicle and the trailer/caravan: so, two Green Cards will be required whenever a trailer or caravan is being towed.

How do I apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP)

IDP’s are available from the post office for a small cost. You can find more information here

Be aware, there are many unofficial sellers online claiming to sell legitimate International Driving Permits (IDP). Please only purchase your IDP from a legitimate source.

Where can I get more information about the requirements for driving abroad?

You can find out more information from the UK Government and sign up for email alerts here

Will my breakdown cover extend to the countries I drive in?

If you have UK breakdown cover it will not extend to countries outside of the UK. If breakdown cover is required you will need to ensure you have purchased the correct level of cover prior to travelling.